Crown Princess Cruise Ship Accident
PORT CANAVERAL, Florida (AP)
A steering problem caused a new cruise ship -- a Crown Princess cruise ship -- to roll abruptly Tuesday, throwing passengers and crew to the deck and injuring dozens, including two critically. At the time of the accident, the ship was on autopilot and its captain away from the bridge.
One passenger said seawater flooded several upper decks of the Crown Princess, forcing water from a swimming pool "like a mini-tsunami," and breaking windows and furniture.
Passengers said that the British captain, Andy Proctor, of Aberdeen, sounded panicked when he addressed sobbing passengers over the ship's loud speakers. "He was out of breath and he was extremely scared," said Patrick Phillips, of New York. Captain Proctor has 35 years experience on the high seas.Matt Bergen, of Florida, said that even members of the British and Italian crew were weeping and in shock. "People were yelling, screaming and crying, even the staff was crying. It was nuts," he said.
Besides an adult and a child who were critically hurt, 12 people were seriously hurt and about 70 had lesser injuries. Thirty-three people were taken to Florida hospitals, he said. Princess Cruises is one of brands operated by Miami, Florida based Carnival Corp.and operates the Crown Princess cruise ship.
Before leaving Port Canaveral, the Crown Princess cruise ship had just completed a nine-day Western Caribbean cruise. The 113,000-ton Crown Princess cruise ship began sailing a month ago and was making only its its fourth voyage.
As with the Ethan Allen, ships which bring passengers on board for hire need to operate safely. Lives are at stake. People can be killed with even the most routine errors.
More Links of interest:
- Princess Cruises to Name New 2006 Cruise Ship the Crown Princess Princess Cruises will debut the new Crown Princess in 2006. The new Crown Princess will be a sister ship to the Caribbean Princess.
- Cruiseclues Shipstips Princess Cruises Crown Princess Photos ...Where is Crown Princess? Crown Princess Cruise Ship Statistics ... Princess Cruises Crown Princess Deck Plans Pull Down on View Another Deck ...
- Crown Princess Cruise Ship Itineraries Complete listing of all Crown Princess cruise itineraries. For for live pricing and online booking on any Crown Princess itinerary, visit Destination.
- Cruise Out of Control On Way Back to NYC NY - But yesterday, the Crown Princess cruise ship tilted so far to one side that over 60 people were injured (2 critically, 16 seriously). ...
- Dozens Injured After Cruise Ship Tilts July 18,2006 | PORT CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The Crown Princess, a cruise ship making its fourth voyage, suddenly rolled ...
- Investigators inspect cruise ship that rolled to one side off Florida cost July 19,2006 | PORT CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Federal investigators examined a new cruise ship Wednesday to try to determine why the 951-foot vessel suddenly rolled to one side, seriously injuring 20 people...